Wednesday 6 April 2011

Join the Jam






Ever since I have lived in Fulham, I have frequently made the walk up to the King’s Road and turned right over the bridge towards Embargo’s, Public and beyond. Ever since I have lived in Fulham, the little corner site just across the bridge from Chutney Mary has either been derelict, under construction, or hosted some kind of venue with a very brief tenure.
I bloody hope the new Jam Tree Chelsea outpost lasts a bit longer because I think it is fab. We’ve got plenty of gastro-pubs in the area so I was really pleased to hear that The Jam Tree would have a twist: a menu based on favourite Anglo-Colonial dishes, an ample beer garden (make that pretty huge) and a 2am licence. I love fusion-style cuisine, and particularly love Asian food so was really excited to have an unpretentious local, who’d serve me up a good Malaysian curry, along with plenty of pints/white wine spritzers. PERFECT, right?
Right indeed! I went along to the Jam Tree with le garcon on Saturday for an early supper and the food did not disappoint. Whilst it’s not the cheapest of places (my starter was £7.50) and the mains range from £10.50 to £18.50 I would say the prices are definitely worth it. The Sotong Manis (battered sticky squid with a chilli, garlic and spring onion dipping sauce) was one of the best starters I’d had in ages (I love sweet flavours in starters and mains) and the Malaysian Prawn Laksa was a decent-sized portion, creamy, hearty and with the perfect consistency and amount of heat.
For my main I went for the Jamaican curry, and the portion was absolutely enormous. The curry was great and the accompanying chutney really made the dish – my only complaint would be that there was not a big enough curry:chutney ratio. More chutney with that dish please, it was so delicious that I wanted a generous helping with every mouthly. Boy went for the Lamb Rump with jersey royals, pea and mint jus and wouldn’t shut up about it the entire evening. It must have been pretty damn good, as he wouldn’t give me a single bite (meanie!).
As we were in a rush, we didn’t get to sample the beer garden. But we did have table with a fairly good view of it, and even at about 6:30pm it was doing a pretty fair trade (though not quite full). There’s loads of space, loads of tables and some pretty nice decking out there. They also have a late license and frequent DJ nights so I reckon this could be a bit of a hot spot come the Summer. I’ll have to go back for girly drinks and check it out.

The Jam Tree
541 Kings Road
Chelsea
SW6 2EB

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...