Friday 25 February 2011

Spicy Chili to nurse a February cold @ Coopers Arms

I had heard about the Coopers Arms from Jess and had also seen its regular tweets online and so when my bessie suggested a cheap and cheerful mid week supper we decided to give it a go. We were both quite broke and I had a streaming cold so their specialty chili con carne seemed like the perfect antidote to a miserable February evening.
The pub itself boasts a prime location just off the Kings Road on Flood Street, but I wouldn't say that it is quite in the same league as some of its swankier sisters such as the Builders Arms or the Phoenix. However, we weren't in the mood for swanky, we were in the mood for relaxed and low key. The service was really excellent and efficient, this might have had something to do with my pre dinner tweets to them, but it worked and we were very well looked after. The pub itself was quiet and not as atmospheric as we would have liked, there were a few men drinking pints and reading the paper.
I have heard that this is not that case at the weekend-I would imagine come Sunday lunch time there is quite a lively scene of Chelsea residents enjoying a roast and a bloody mary.
Once my initial medicine of a very nice white wine from their impressive wine list kicked in and my throat was suitably anesthetized I was thrilled to be served what the doctor really ordered, spicy chili con carne. The portions were generous and the quality of the food was good (you would hope so at £12 a main course) but hey it's Chelsea you can't really expect less. My bessie had the specialty prawn penne which was deliciously garlicky and and I devoured a plate of hot chili con carne. We were a little taken aback by the final bill but nevertheless trotted off merrily full of wine and hot food into the grizzly February night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...